Firestorm over false accusations
Immigrant activist groups nationwide are outraged that innocent students could have been rousted, based on the word of a lying, attention-starved, little white girl. Many of those against illegal immigration got caught up in the sensational nature of the story, only to share the eggs on their faces for believing a story they wanted to be true.
CBS’s Katie Couric Tries to Save her Job by Playing Nativist Card
It is widely rumored that CBS Nightly News, celebrity anchor, Katie Couric is on the verge of hitting the pavement due to tanking ratings for the news program. “Lay off Katie Couric! CBS is to blame Network used a celebrity ploy to boost ratings and it completely backfired” by Michael Ventre In a gambit straight from the Lou Dobbs school of journalism, Couric fed up anti-immigrant red meat in a piece entitled, “Illegal Immigrant Births - At Your Expense.” The piece gave no balance and failed to present a counter-point to the clear anti-immigrant slant of the piece.
What CBS News has done is incredibly irresponsible and we need to pressure the hell out of them. I've been told that pro-migrant organizations have started to turn the screws and ask the producers exactly what they were thinking – the producers have given little indication of what they were thinking, if anything at all.
PLEASE LET CBS KNOW THAT THIS KIND OF HACK REPORTING IS UNACCPETABLE AND UNPROFESSIONAL:
1. Post to the comments at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/07/eveningnews/main4000401.shtml
2. Send the show an email at
3. Call the network at 212-975-3247
LA Mayor, Villaraigosa tells Homeland Security chief that agents should target criminal gang members and not legitimate businesses. The Mayor notes that by targeting legitimate businesses, ICE raids are having a detrimental effect on the economy. Not surprisingly, ICE has indicated that American Apparel Company, which has taken a very public pro-immigrant stance, is in the Fed’s cross-hairs. Nothing like payback for exercising your First Amendment rights, no doubt Chertoff and his ICE thugs would love to make an example of American Apparel for speaking out.
Orwellian SAVE Act Still Live and Threatening Every American’s Civil Liberties
As previously mentioned, the Republican hate machine knows no boundaries when it comes to abridging civil liberties in the name of immigration control. For everyone who still gives a damn about that thing called the Constitution and the Bill of Rights here is a rundown of the worst aspects of the SAVE legislation.
Oppose HR 4088, "The Secure
Act of 2007" Bill, known as the SAVE Act. The SAVE Act is a cynical and politically motivated attack on immigrant families and a foolish burden on our fragile economy.
- It would require approximately six million employers to verify the work status of more than 130 million workers within four years. If passed, the SAVE Act would place a tremendous financial and regulatory burden on businesses and employees at a time when our economy is already fragile. This is a foolish proposal at a time when our economy is already fragile.
- The federal database that would be used to enforce the SAVE Act is known to have an unacceptably high error rate – nearly 10 percent! An independent study of the E-Verify/Basic Pilot program found that the ½ of 1 percent of employers that use the program often misuse it, and that the data base would need to be significantly improved before it can be expanded.
- This is a recipe for a full scale assault on worker protections and anti-discrimination laws. Nothing in this legislation addresses real world concerns that this new mandate would lead to employers firing workers involved in union organizing drives or would have the resources to ensure that they are not discriminating against Latinos or other immigrants applying for employment.
- It will represent an unprecedented intrusion into the lives of millions of
workers, regardless of their status. If this law were in place now, the errors in the SSA database alone could result in 2.5 million people a year being misidentified as unauthorized for employment. Workers, including United States citizens, will get caught in this faulty system and lose their jobs. The "SAVE Act" contains no assurances that government databases will be accurate and updated, no privacy protections for the vast amounts of personal information to be handled by employers, and no recourse for workers who are wrongfully denied employment. U.S.
- It would make it easier for the government to put religious and humanitarian workers behind bars for so-called "alien smuggling." Humanitarian workers – like nuns, priests, volunteers – would be constantly forced to navigate this confusing legislation, or run the risk of arrest, fines and imprisonment.
HATE GROUPS CONTINUE TO GET TREATED AS MAINSTREAM BY MEDIA
Despite a well-documented history of hatred and racism, the media continues to treat the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) as a mainstream advocacy group. In this one week, the New York Times, the Seattle Times and the Los Angeles Times all quoted FAIR as if it were merely an immigration advocacy group. These outlets need to identify this group as a hate group, the way they identify the Aryan Nation or stop using them as sources.
If you liked this post, don't forget to subscribe to my RSS feeds. Or you can
get my posts delivered to your inbox directly, by subscribing to my feeds by email.